[e2e] tcp connection timeout

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue Mar 7 07:38:29 PST 2006

Because NAT doesn't work, we have to change all the perfectly correct
TCP stacks and make keepalives the standard.  And to make NATs more
memory efficient, we should make the default keepalive interval 100
msec. lest the "losers" who write applications open a lot of connections
and forget to close them.

I suppose that is reasonable, given that NAT has become the Internet
architecture by default.   Certainly IPv6 is stillborn in the US
residential and corporate market.

Perhaps we should next move to the true future: IBM SNA 2007.   The
future will be about putting the semantics of unit record devices into
the routers.  All hail Physical Unit Type 2.