[e2e] tcp connection timeout

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Fri Mar 3 17:35:38 PST 2006

Vadim Antonov wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Joe Touch wrote:
>
>> Indeed - I (and others) are suggesting TCP isn't the place to focus in
>> this case.
>
> Joe, you're getting stuck on "repeat", sorry.  I've heard that assertion
> two dozen times already, repeating it does not convey any new information.
> I'm not interested in hearing opinions (not even in opinions of a large
> group of people with impressive credentials) - I'm interested in hearing
> rational argumentation.

You're interested in hearing a solution that requires modification to
TCP, despite reasons why this could be solved appropriate at either the
application layer (app keepalives) or a link layer (e.g., PPP).

I.e., you want to rational_*ize* an excuse to play with TCP. If that's
your goal, please stop asking for validation and just do it.

Joe