[e2e] tcp connection timeout

rick jones perfgeek at mac.com
Wed Mar 1 21:38:29 PST 2006

>> What is wrong with a connection that takes no resources whatsoever
>> unless someone is trying to send data over it?   Sounds good to me...
>> and the cost on each endpoint to maintain a potentially useful
>> relationship is a few bytes of table space.  (microcents in todays'
>> dollars).
>
> Wouldn't this be a good opportunity for a DDoS attack?

Or just plain TCP connections staying in FIN_WAIT_2 because the other
side either did an abortive close and the RST was lost, or less likely
the other sides FIN never got to us, and the FIN_WAIT_2 state staying
there until something was seen from the remote.  You don't need DDoS,
just non-robust application programmers or a bit of bad luck.

rick jones
Wisdom teeth are impacted, people are affected by the effects of events