[e2e] DDoS attack vs. Spoofing of Source Address

rishi jethwa rishi_jethwa at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 18 09:27:29 PST 2006

Hi John,

Majority of DoS attack that happens this days fits into packet flooding
category. Today we donot have attack that uses some drawback in the
protocol..like ping of death.
If I properly secure my network, its very difficult for someone with just
one system to have a DoS attack on me, no matter what combination of attack
type he uses.

So lets just talk about packet flooding category. N use DDoS instead of DoS.

Even if you look at all the latest freely available DoS tools they all are
sporting new capabilities that suits attack that fits into packet flooding
category.

And the attacker donot want there zombies to get caught, he would prefer to
use randomly generated valid IP addresses.

Regards

Rishi